MDB promotes a safe environment for all workers through research, analysis, and information dissemination.
For more than a decade, MDB has supported the development of curricula and educational materials, initiation of training programs, and formal review of the technical and educational quality of worker training programs for the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS) Worker Training Program (WTP). This program, known as the Worker Education and Training Program until July 2014, funds non-profit organizations in developing and delivering training to workers who handle hazardous waste or respond to emergency releases of hazardous material. Through our work, MDB is also experienced in policy formulation and implementation, program development, litigation support, research, and training.
- Since 2000, MDB has operated the National Clearinghouse for Worker Safety and Health Training website, the go-to website for worker safety and health information on hazardous materials, emergency preparedness, and emergency response. We’re working with our client to plan a major redesign for 2015.
- MDB produced a report documenting the projects and activities of Worker Training Program awardees who received American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA) funds, and highlights subsequent successes and best practices.
- MDB produced a video that highlights accomplishments of grantees who received ARRA funds.
- MDB supports the planning and facilitation of program workshops, which have consistently received exceptional reviews from participants.
- MDB is assisting in the development of a behavioral health resilience curriculum for disaster workers. This three-phase effort was accomplished in partnership with the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.
- MDB is supporting NIEHS efforts to ensure that researchers receive proper safety and health training prior to entering a disaster site. Clinical environmental health research is a current gap in our nation’s disaster preparedness.
Increasing safety awareness
- MDB produced booklets about safety awareness for responders, including “Safety and Health Awareness for Oil Spill Cleanup Workers,” “Protecting Yourself from Avian Influenza,” “Protecting Yourself While Responding to Earthquakes,” and “Protecting Yourself While Responding to Hurricanes.” These booklets were produced in English and Spanish, and some had Vietnamese versions.
Download and read more about our capabilities in our 2015 Occupational Safety and Health brochure.